Monday, June 23, 2008

Partnership & Mobilization Unit



Mr. Sar Sokhapong Daniel






What motivated me to work at Peace Bridges was seeing the impacts on my country from the experience of a long civil war. Even though the genocide is over, a lot of people are still affected, and the war has really impacted their attitudes and behaviors. They become angry and violent easily, and so a lot of families and schools live with violence. Even I suffered violence as I was growing up.


So when I saw those things I also observed that I could not change anything, because people expected to change things with violence. But violence cannot end violence, and so the situation became worse and nothing ever changed. Because I saw a lot of violence in families and communities, and against minority groups like the Cham people, I asked myself, "As a citizen living in a country with a lot of violence, what can I do to help?"


When I heard about peacebuilding training offered by Peace Bridges, I was very interested and applied. After I finished, I was even more motivated to see what I could do for society and how I could use my knowledge and skills bring healing. So when I learned Peace Bridges was going to employ a new position, I applied. I am now very happy that I can use my knowledge and skill to help the people in my country by providing peace education to the Christian churches, Buddhist monks, community groups, prison inmates and staff, and so on.


After the training and support I have provided, I can see the impact on people's lives. I can see their changed attitudes and that the training also benefits their families, workplaces, and communities. But the work is not finished and a lot of areas and groups still need peacebuilding work. For this reason, I still have a heart to continue my work and see peace extend across Cambodia.


~~~~~~~~~~


Sar Sokhapong Daniel is Training & Mobilization Coordinator. In addition to coordinating Peace Bridges' long-term training (Part A: Training for Peace; Part B: Conciliation & Mediation Skills), this unit resource graduates so that they can use their knowledge and skills in their workplaces and beyond.



___________________________________________________




Mr. Lang Reaksmey

There are many people living with complicated problems that are very hard to understand - living with no hope, full of discouragement and conflict. I am no different in my need for hope, encouragement and peace in my life. Recognizing this need led me to Peace Bridges' training, which gave me the skills and vision that I am now excited to share with others.

I love helping build peace with families, churches, communities, Cambodia and all over the world. Finishing my year 4 studies at Phnom Penh Bible College and Peace Bridges' 1-year course of Conflict Counseling and Mediation helped me see my vision more clearly. And my wife, Chenda, is the best resource and encouragement for me for this task.

I am grateful that I have been able to work for peace at Peace Bridges since 2007 as a facilitator providing peacebuilding and conflict prevention training to churches and NGOs in Cambodia.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Reaksmey helps provide training and mobilization in our long-term course and in short-term consultancies. In addition, Reaksmey serves as a member of the Church committee, Sunday School teacher, and preacher. Previous to working with Peace Bridges, he was as an assistant pastor and computer coordinator at Faith in Christ Church in Phnom Penh and a dormitory warden at Phnom Penh Bible College.





___________________________________________________________

Mr. So Sam Oun


I have worked for Peace Bridges since 2007 as Client Services Associate. There are many ways to share peace in Cambodia, but one way I must follow everyday is within myself - to live peace, share peace and teach peace. Peace must start from me if I want to see peace in our churches, families and communities in the future.

In October 2007, I participated in the Conflict Counseling and Mediation course provided by Peace Bridges. Afterwards, I saw signs of transformation: my comfort zone was opening; my heart was healing; my attitude was changing. I remember that Mony said, "A trainer must live these lessons," and that is my hope and belief.

I have joy being a peace builder, chosen to work at Peace Bridges. Peace is important to me - to Live Peace.... Share Peace..... Teach Peace.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Sam Oun helps provide training and mobilization in our long-term course and in short-term consultancies. He is also the Administrative & Assistant Pastor at Solomon Church, Phnom Penh, and a student in the Intercultural Studies program at Antioch Institute.




_______________________________________________________________





Mrs. Kouet ChhunLy


“What is conflict?”

This is the question I keep asking myself. Since beginning my work with Peace Bridges in 2007, I have learned that conflict comes from the differences in one’s “ideas” or “purposes” that affect the ideas or purposes of others.

When it comes to the conflicts arising in Cambodian society, we can see how the many differences in ideas or purposes result in many conflicts. Even though Cambodians live in the Khmer tradition of nonviolence, the practice of this tradition varies from one place or region to another. Moreover, those differences are also the results of personal characteristics shaped by personal knowledge and education. If we do not know how to use, respect and value the above mentioned differences we may be lead to conflicts and break-ups. The conflicts may arise at any time that we do not know how to manage or cope with our differences.

Part of conflict management is simply the lesson that "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry” However, we often have difficulty living up to this. The good news is that with the support of others and by being more self aware, attitudes can form in us that help us in the journey of life.

I am thankful for the promise of peace and hope to me and my family. I really wish the family and the Cambodian people peace and blessing for Cambodian’s future generations.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Chhunly helps provide training and mobilization in our long-term course and in short-term consultancies.


________________________________________________________________